Friday 6 January 2012

Moving across the pond

October 14th 2010.
I'll remember that day as Doomsday (as one of my best friends called it).
A new life was waiting for us. We were excited that's for sure. Nervous? You bet. Sad? Yep.

So the rollercoaster had begun from day 1.....

I won't go through every detail of the journey but will try to summarise so that any would be expats, or expats who are having second thoughts can see my opinion. And that is all it is, MY OPINION. I am just telling you my experience. I am far from being Anti Emigration believe me. (who knows if we will do this again at a later date?)

So, back to Doomsday- both sets of parents were at the airport plus Richard's Sister. I remember having no appetite, feeling sick and dreading the goodbyes. When the time came we all kind of stood there, no-one wanting to start the goodbyes. It's a vision I won't forget. I remember hugging my mum and then I broke down in tears. Saying goodbye to my mum- who is my best friend was terrible. Seeing the pain we were causing to everyone who was there was terrible, but this was our decision and we had to follow it through....

6 hours later and we landed in the beautiful Canadian province on Nova Scotia.
We felt happy and the moment we landed we knew why we had chosen Nova Scotia. Friendly people, Clean place and a chance for a new lease of life. We were excited.
Our friend, Rachel collected us from airport and took us to our rented 4 bedroom house in Lower Sackville and we moved straight in.
The first night was interesting. No internet to contact family on SKYPE (I'll mention skype later lol). Blow up bed (thanks to Rachel x) and a travel cot. Boy, do we know how to live it up in style lol.

The next few weeks were getting a job for Richard, buying some furniture and making Canada our home. Lots of money spent in the first few months but slowly it was looking like home :)
Did I also mention that my wonderful husband Richard got a job within 4 days of us landing. Future blogs will make you understand how lucky I am to have him in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment